Skip to main content

Introduction to Mutual Funds



Hello Friends,

Ramadan Mubarak!!! How was your weekend? In my last post I said I was going to talk about mutual funds in my next post, but I haven't been able to post in a while, partly because of Ramadan, and partly because of work.

However, I'm back to posting, and today's post will be centred around Mutual Funds. If you remember in my last post, I said that you don't need to have millions in order to invest, which is where mutual funds come in. Now let's talk Mutual Funds,





What is a Mutual Fund?

  • A mutual fund can be seen as a company that brings together a group of people and invests their money in stocks, bonds, and other investments. Each investors own shares which represent a portion of the holdings of the funds.

         You can make money from a mutual funds in the following ways:
  1. Dividends if the funds invested in stock on your behalf, and Interests, if investment is in bonds.
  2. Capital gains: This occurs if the fund sells securities that have increased in price. These gains will be passed on to invetors in a distribution.
  3. If the fund holdings increase in price, and are not sold by the fund manager, you as the holder can decide to sell your mutual funds at a profit.
Who Operates a Mutual Fund?
  • Mutual funds are operated by professional investment firms made up of people who have expert knowledge of the money and capital market. In Nigeria, most funds are operated by investment arms of banks, stock-broking firms, etc
         Please not that a mutual fund is different from a stock broking firm. A stock broking firm buys and sells shares on your behalf based on your instructions. With a stock broking firm, you keep tabs on the performance of your stocks and monitor daily. You solely make decisions whether to buy new shares, sell off existing shares and so on. However, with a mutual fund, the fund manager makes all decisions regarding all investments. You, as the fund holder have no say whatsoever regarding the investments.
Advantages of Mutual Funds
  • Your money is managed by a professional fund manager, so you don't have to invest so much time and money in monitoring and managing your investments. Please note that you do not have a say in what your fund managers invest in. He chooses what and where he invest in, but you share in the profits and losses of the funds.
  • A mutual fund is liquid: It allows you to request that your shares b converted into cash at any time.
  • Buying a mutual fund is simple and easy to do. Almost every bank has its own line of mutual funds, and the minimum is small, so you can do this any time you have some cash.
  • Economies of scale: Because a mutual fund buys and sells large amounts of securities at a time, its transaction costs are lower than what you would normally pay for securities transaction.
  • Owning shares in a mutual fund helps spread your risk out, as compared to owning individual stocks or bonds. This is because mutual funds own hundreds of different stocks in many different industries, so a loss in any particular investment is minimized by gains in other. (Brilliant isn't it?)


Disadvantages of Mutual Funds
  • No insurance against losses- Losses don't happen often with mutual funds, but when do, you stand the chance of losing all your investments.
  • Fees: Most mutual funds charge management and operating fees that pay for the fund's management expenses. Some also charge high commission on sales.
  • Loss of control: The fund manager makes all decisions concerning investments with your funds. They decide where to invest, what to invest in, and when to invest in.You, the fund holder practically have no say in this.
  • Mutual funds maintain large cash reserves to protect against simultaneous withdrawals. This means that some of the funds' money is invested in cash instead of assets, which ten to lower potential returns.
I'll stop here for now, so I don't overwhelm us all with too much stories. I'll continue with more on mutual funds in my next post. I hope you have benefitted from today's post.

Love, till my next post.

'Lade

Source: Mutual Funds definition- Investopedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is there a smart way to save?

Babe, why have you stopped posting on your blog? When is your next post? What are you going to write about? All these and more were questions I got during the week. I want to use this opportunity to thank everyone who has come to this blog to read my posts. I also want to implore you to help share with your friends and family(after all, the more the merrier, or don't you think so?) Smiles................... So let's get back to the matter................. Of the discussions I had with people, one thing stood out for me, the second greatest excuse people give after "I don't earn enough to save from" is "I don't have the discipline to save in the bank, and not withdraw from it". Frankly, this was shocking, but then I realised that some people would rather keep things( money inclusive) out of their reach in order to keep it safe. So when I got answers like " If I save in my bank account, I will be tempted to withdraw when I want to

Money decisions as a couple

Hello friends.  Happy new month.  I hope we've been making good money decisions since my last post. I haven't written in a while,  not because I am lazy, but because I really wanted to be sure that this is what I wanted.  After some serious soul searching, I realised that I am in for the long haul. I am really interested in helping people make responsible financial decisions. Today's post is centred on marriage and finance . I was discussing with my friends about how wise it is for couples to share financial information with one another. We hear of couples who separate and even get divorced because they are not financially compatible,  so I thought that this needs to be discussed. As you will have guessed, different people have different schools of thought about this. I have a friend who said this: "Lolade, I'm not interested in any joint account o, I'm working for my money,  I think I should be able to spend it anyway I like,  plus the guy should be the br

Tips for making 2016 your best year financially!!!!!!

 Hello Friends, Happy Sunday!!!!! I hope we had a beautiful day. So it's the start of a new week, and I absolutely love starts. I see it as an opportunity to re-write, re-brand and renew. I read something about financial planning in the past week, and I decided to share with my fellow blog readers. Please relax, enjoy and learn a few things, as we go through this together: "From the look of things, this year will likely be a difficult one financially, and to get through effortlessly, you have to start planning from the beginning. You can't afford to wait till the end of the first quarter, or half-year to start planning. Planing should start now. Use estimates if you must plan, and change to actual as you go on, but don't wait any further." Be prepared to let go of some things, and only spend when absolutely necessary. If you have saved money, try not to touch it. Please do not spend on frivolities. Avoid capital projects in the next